Sunday, January 14, 2007

I stayed wakeful longer than I expected yesterday. Last night, as I was climbing the ladder to the loft where I sleep, my morning alarm went off.

Perception got a little interesting, in the last half of the day. The band of ocean I can see at sunset looked like a vertical steel-blue plate that the sun slipped behind. When I got home from the print studio, the night sky was crystal clear. Looking up as I got out of the car, the stars really were arrayed on the underside of a vast black bowl. Wow, I thought. This is what everyone saw before science proved our perception to be off. Then I thought perhaps science had it wrong.

This morning I woke at 10, incredibly late. And I was late the rest of the day, perpetually crossing things off my do-list as time for them ran out. In fact, I wound up doing practically nothing. So tonight I am determined to get my creative on. Some free-form artplay.

Holgar's been trying to find someone to rent the place across the driveway from me. I considered it myself--the place is bigger, and shaped in such a way that I could actually fold my table out all the way and friends could sit around the whole thing. But it is really shady (read "even colder in winter"), and purportedly has a mold problem. My art papers, imperilled!Holgar fixed the leak that caused the mold, but who knows if its really gone? But it is still vacant. So I am still considering it.

I ran into my landlord this morning (late morning) as I was heading out for my consititutional around the Brussels sprout field. He said he's turned down eight or nine people with dogs, including a ceramicist who move away from the neighborhood and now wants to come back. Her dog was too big, he said. I told him he was picky (she's a great dog), but then he pointed out that he didn't want dogs to disturb the predatory birds the biologists had next door (also on his property). He's an odd blend of coldheartedness and doing right by his people.

No comments: