Friday, January 12, 2007

Question about Holgar's "escape"

Geoffch goes,



Just how old is Holgar? In 1956 when I was 15 the USSR rather brutally put down an uprising in Budapest. Eisenhower's Sec. of State, John Foster Dulles, let it be known that if captive peoples rose up the US would support them. This was a foolish promise since we could in fact do no such thing. The uprising was unsuccessful but lots of Hungarians wound up here.
And I'm all:

Jeez, how old is that guy? Old enough to have been around for the Budapest uprising, I'd say. I wonder what his journey was like getting here? He's not banished, anyway; one of his vacations this year was back to Hungary to see family. So either not everyone got out, or he left for other reason. You'll forgive my lack of investigative journalism; I dig the mystery.
Any story that unfolds slowly over time, with clues collected here & there...I mean, that's tasty.

Holgar's done pretty well for himself since leaving; man does he love this country! He's collecting 6 sets of rent from this property-- he must be close to paying off the mortgage if he hasn't already. And a place in Hawaii, for rent of course. He also does "repairs" for people in his old-country, that'll-do way. Later I'm sure you'll read about "Holgar technology" in this blog.

Pip

No comments: